Saturday 17 March 2007

Interview w/ Eska Mtungwazi 07

Interview: Eska Mtungwazi (Email)

With a buzz already forming, Eska Mtungwazi has made the public and music industry gain high anticipation. Here, Eska Mtungwazi still holds it down but at the same time manages to open up and lets us in to understand more of her personality, and future plans.

01. Matthew – Which artists/individuals were your biggest influences?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- The biggest were my older sister and little brother, she played Guitar, I never managed to get lessons for that instrument but I strummed chords at home and started song writing.

02. Matthew – What do you think of the commercial music world?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- I think MTV Culture is one of the most backward displays of black music. The MOBO's is backward and shameful, sadly, for such a talented people group, it amazes me how we cannot get our act together. In terms of basically celebrating the best of ourselves in a much more constructive way.

03. Matthew – Is there anything that you think should be changed about the commercial music scene?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- I'm not saying we should censor MTV. I just wish that an antidote existed, I would like to be involved in that in what ever way possible and feel that I am a part of an alternative on offer. We need to keep working at this movement and are certainly gaining ground with events such as Kindred Spirit, Up Rock at Mau Mau's, a variety of club night's on offer such as Wonderland.

04. Matthew – Which musicians influence you that you know or have worked alongside?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- Bassist and composer Anthony Tidd was a huge influence at the start of my professional life as a musician, and so were all the musician's I was involved with in his band, 'Quite Sane' back in the early ninety’s. Eric Appapoulay, Richard Cassell, Robert Mitchell, Marcina Arnold, Jason Yarde and Melissa Beckford. Every single one of them had a great influence on me musically and personally. I am grateful to count them as friends to this day.

05. Matthew – What can we expect from Eska Mtungwazi in 2007 and beyond?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- I don't think anyone is expecting what I have in store! In terms of what I want to contribute to the scene in artistic terms; they should expect the high standards that they are used to me delivering. I hope that I exceed them this time and begin to expand on my audience. Stylistically, it has the usual twists and turns, oh and I'm rapping now; just to put a spin on it! Ha!

06. Matthew – What are your current creative projects or plans?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- I'm working on new material with Swedish collaborator's Hearin' Aid and Up Hygh. Also collaborating here with producer Leroy Brown (Lizzie's children who are Leroy Brown, Ty and Drew Horley), writing and co-producing with Morgan SpaceK for his latest album out, next Spring. Recording a jazz (acoustic) album plus setting up some very exciting situation's that I can't speak of just yet, aaaargh, sorry!

07. Matthew – You moved from Zimbabwe, your birthplace, to London at age three. Do you have any recollection of that experience?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- Matthew, I was two when I came over, not sure how I can answer this question without having hypnotherapy or something like that.

08. Matthew - Are you or have you ventured into the USA music scene? Have they heard the word on Eska Mtungwazi yet?

. Eska Mtungwazi - I have frequented the State's a fair amount over the year's on a music capacity. Most recently spending a month out there this February. I did a few shows out in NYC and Philly, it was cool. I'm still looking for all the hot spot's out there, have not really encountered them but I know they exist for sure. The USA is so big it takes a major mission to really break. I think if anyone is really seeking to do so, they would have to consider spending a very long time making the connections and getting on the right festival circuit. I think this is possible and is certainly what I would like to do as part of my touring plan's next year. I think it is actually a very important market for my music. I have fans out there and the support is continually growing.


08. Matthew – Who were the main artists that inspired you?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- Nik Kershaw of late, Neil Finn, really strong lyricist's like that. Joni Mitchell, and my brother 'The Spotlight Kit', he is a singer/songwriter too.

09. Matthew – What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far being that you’re an independent artist?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- The biggest hurdle is planning, I am enjoying that process still, it takes time but it is so worth while, having to make that commitment to your idea's on paper is a challenge, which we must all try to face. That has really been influencing my work as of late for sure. My entire family is very musical by this I mean, they can all sing and have a 'great ear' for music. I would consider my parents excellent musicians who just happen to not play instruments other than their voice. They are excellent with harmonies but that seems to be the case with everyone in my extended family, there is a tradition of faith and song on both sides of my family. That is probably true of most of Zimbabwe. Music is a very spiritual thing and not as divorced from every day life as it is in the West. For this reason, it is not considered that big a deal to be able to sing, people use their singing voice's for so many occasions that happen in their lives.

10. Matthew – Have you signed a record deal yet or are you even interested in signing with a label?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- I would sign a deal with me, if I was not an artist and was starting a label, yeah, another one of me! Ha! I would love to ask you and the reader's out there what exactly they mean and/or understand about being 'signed'. Forgive me, but most people have no idea what they are talking about when they use this term, it has all manner of daft, unrealistic expectations that is laughable for anyone to consider it as such a good thing for them. Being signed is not my goal, My goal is to make legendary music and aspire to be a legendary artist, whatever vehicles help to move me in that direction, on board MY train, and then I welcome those enquiries. I have never sought out a ‘deal’; I have never approached a label. I have had labels approach me, all manner of people who fancy they being in the 'middle' of my business plans. Most of them are a waste of time, because they want to be simply 'people in the middle' making a bit of change in a situation that could actually slow me down. Finance and Marketing are the biggest hurdles to overcome as an artist.

11. Matthew What advice could you give to someone who wants to be a successful independent artist?

. Eska Mtungwazi
- You need a strong team that understands your vision and works your vision, not go off and find someone with a vision and try and fit yourself into it, that is traditionally what 'signing up or on' is about, that is not for everyone. Things will never change if we are still buying into myths about the recording business, and those of us who support this music need to educate ourselves about the industry in a much deeper way. Then I won't get asked questions like this, the question should have been. Who are you looking for to join your team? And answer's can go to eskaworld@gmail.com. Many thanks Matthew.

Words by Matthew Daniel

© 2007 Feel The Soul. All Rights Reserved.



No comments: