Saturday 17 March 2007

Interview w/ Marlena Shaw 07

Interview: Marlena Shaw (Email)

Marlena Shaw is a legendary voice in soul music. From her incredible recordings with Chess Records to her famous summer soul hit, 'California Soul'. Marlena Shaw is ultimately one of the top female vocalists of music.

01. Matthew - Who helped or influenced you to sing or play music?

. Marlena Shaw - My Uncle Jimmy Burgess was jazz trumpet player. My Grandmother and my Uncle basically raised me. He taught me how to structure chords on the piano in order for me to accompany him. For the other stuff, like Gospel music I play by ear and am self-taught or perhaps I should say, I play by ear.

02. Matthew - Please talk about your days with Chess Records?

. Marlena Shaw - My first recordings were done for Cadet Records out of Chicago, Chess Records. While performing at the Chicago Playboy Club, Dick LaPalm signed me. As I recall, we were in a studio in a house, probably like the early Motown. I sang a titled song called 'Show Time' or 'It's Show Time'. The flip side was 'Go Away Little Boy', without the monologue, so it never got up off the ground.

03. Matthew - Have you got any current album projects on the go?

. Marlena Shaw -
The latest recording done was for Village Records in Tokyo, on the other hand it was quite slick, many microphones and great instruments, everything state-of-the-art, and high tech. I recorded with my live performance band so it was most comfortable for me. I just wish I had more time to prepare. We recorded while on tour in Japan so all of the songs weren't selected yet.

04. Matthew - Have you ever thought of retirement or are you still addicted to music?

. Marlena Shaw -
Matthew, I’m in my sixties and been singing for forty-two years or so. And I'll retire when I no longer get calls for my services. I certainly have cut back on what I can accept these days.

05. Matthew - How did the Nathan Haines collaboration happen, for Chilli Funk Records, ‘Soho Soul’ compilation?

. Marlena Shaw -
While on tour in the UK with Nathan Haines as part of my backup band, he made a track called Squire for Hire he asked me to write the words for a monologue to fit the track and that's how I got involved with Lofty at Chilli Funk. I would love to do another project with them. Both Nathan and Lofty are simply the coolest. Nathan suggested me for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, which I toured with in '05. What a kick!

06. Matthew - Have you ever visited London and are you a fan?

. Marlena Shaw - I am quite a fan of London period. From the days of Caraby St. to the funkier atmosphere of Camden and its markets.

07. Matthew - When was your first trip to London?

. Marlena Shaw - As you may or may not know my first time in London was in 1968 with the Count Basie Band so I've worked for Princess Margaret to just regular folks and always have a good time. But no I don’t own any property there. Do you know of a good thing?

08. Matthew - What helps you relax or chill out?

. Marlena Shaw - Many years ago I had to meditate and stretch drink soothing teas, etc. Now, I'm so blessed to wake up in the morning I say thank you Lord and get on up! As far as relaxing, I use to be the very best gardener and avid golfer, too many aches and pains and some days are better than others. Love soap operas and trying to design a new home. Nothing much to talk about there yet, as far as the independents are concerned, they're doing pretty darned good. The big boys are having some problems and we don't chase them.

09. Matthew - What was the best advice you’ve been given?

. Marlena Shaw - The best advice I ever had was from Count Basie, “Whatever music you're singing never place the tempo faster than a heartbeat” Over the years I found that getting the right tempo depends on the feeling.

10. Matthew - And what is your favorite season of the year?

. Marlena Shaw - I love springtime. Seeing all the beginning buds on trees and plants gives me renewed hope in all things being new again.

11. Matthew - Do you still get stage fright or have you over come that now?

. Marlena Shaw - Being in front of large audiences scares me! Usually, for just a little while. Once I begin singing, the fright usually goes away. I do like working with people who have similar fan bases.

Words by Matthew Daniel

© 2007 Feel The Soul. All Rights Reserved.


No comments: