Saturday 17 March 2007

Interview w/ Glenn Lewis 06

Interview: Glenn Lewis (Phone)

Glenn Lewis made a name for himself with his debut album 'World Outside My Window'. Released through major label Epic Records in 2003, now in 2006, with the help of his manager, Glenn Lewis speaks to me. He calls me during a shoot for an Adidas commercial in Canada.

01. Matthew – What was it like working with Andre Harris and Vidal Davis for ‘World Outside My Window’ album?

. Glenn Lewis - We were just really having fun. Working with Andre and Vidal, they were real easy. It was just a lot of jokes and we played a lot of pranks in the studio. Trying to create a really light atmosphere and basically referred back to personal experiences, different thing's, and making it into a song. Often that's what creates the most honest work, talking about life. Stuff that you go through from joy and pain in life.

02. Matthew – What do you get up to outside of music?

. Glenn Lewis - I love playing basketball. Since the hiatus of the album, which is like three or four years ago. I have been taking things in because it was a long road to get to the point of doing my first album. So, it was nice to just fall back a little bit. Enjoying ball, watching ball, hanging out with friends. And in the meantime and between times, staying creative. I guess, accumulating new experiences so that I can pour it into this new project. The most important thing in my life is family. My spirituality and family, they pretty much run parallel to each other. That’s pretty much why I do what I do, for the love of my family. Yeah, I'd probably have to say that those are the two most important elements in my life.

03. Matthew – What was it like co-writing with Floetry member Marsha Ambrosius?

. Glenn Lewis - Oh Marsha? That's my homie! She's like super talented, super easy to work with. She gives her everything in what she does. She's the kind of artist that. When you meet her, you just know. That this is what she's meant to do. She has a lot of love to give, and she puts all of that into her work. She's a true in every sense of the word artist.

04. Matthew – How do you manage to keep in such good shape?

. Glenn Lewis - I eat a lot of bullshit man. I eat dumb stuff, like junk or fast food, stuff like that, you always on the go right? So for me, I'm always running around. I cherish the moments when I could have a good home cooked meal. Usually, I'm eating a lot of fast food. I wouldn't recommend anyone to be on my kind of diet, if your expecting abs or whatever else.

05. Matthew – And what do you think of London? Anything you dislike?

. Glenn Lewis - For starters the women, as much as it is to you, it's not an accent, but I just love how people from London and from the UK, how they speak. It's very eloquent and very proper. I like that. The only bad thing that I can think of is sometimes I go out and we'll go eat. And there's like fried bread or something? That's always weird to me; I'm like fried bread? What the hell? But that's the only thing I don't like.

06. Matthew - Have your family supported you from the beginning in your music career?

. Glenn Lewis - Yes and no, my Mom and my Dad, they both did music before me. So, I guess needless to say the influence was around but they could see the talent in me, so they were supportive from that standpoint. They encourage that. Like my Mom would teach me songs. My Dad would take me to the studio with him to see what the process was like. Funnily enough, I didn't really want to do music until a little later on. Maybe fourteen/fifteen. Then it became discouraging because the music industry was hard. It can be a shitty business. So, they didn't want me to go through some of the thing's they went through.

07. Matthew – What can we expect from Glenn Lewis in 2007 and beyond?

. Glenn Lewis - Well, life for all of us is a process; it's all about growth and experiencing different thing's. I've had a lot of great experiences but also some tough ones. They've all contributed to me, and just being the artist that I am. I'm always looking for new challenges. The expectation is, in a very short space of time. I'm in the process of working on this new classic. Working really hard to put together another classic, you know? It's been a while from the spot light. Right now, the focus is putting together another heater; that people will be able to appreciate.

08. Matthew - Is there any obvious musical change on your latest recording?

. Glenn Lewis - It's going to be a little different but the soulful aspect is me. That's just apart of me regardless but as far as the sound and the musical approach, it's changed a little bit. I've been stretching out and trying different things. It's like variety is the spice of life, I just want to try some different musical approaches. For the most part the essence of what the first album was, you'll still hear on the second one but it's going to have a lot more growth.

09. Matthew – And How about your vocals?

. Glenn Lewis - Vocally I've become a lot stronger in my delivery. I've become a lot better as a vocalist. Even the kinds of things I'd be directly talking about, it's still real life but at the same time it's a lighthearted approach. A lot of the song's that were on the first album, lots of people gave me feedback. That it was very introspective, in the way that it was approached. It was extremely personal and I guess it was like an autobiographical album. This one is still going to have a personal touch but it's more about connecting. The first album was about bringing people into my world. This new album is about connecting and reaching out. Sharing things that I feel that people would be able to relate to. The music will have moments where it will be a bit more aggressive, almost a bit of an R&B touch to it but its still soul.

10. Matthew – What have been the highlights so far in your career?

. Glenn Lewis - The best part of my career is to have the opportunity to be around other phenomenally talented people. I've had the pleasure of meeting people that are tremendous talents. They inspire me in there own way. Now, for them to be appreciating me and I'm there peer? And were able to interact with them on a human level? When I can see the human side of them, and they are able to see me, and were on that level. Some of the things that they might share with me, and that I'm in ways and inspiration to them, it's pretty amazing. I think that's the best part, being able to meet different walks of life. Some that I have deep admiration for and respect what they do, like some of the younger cats that a coming out, that's just probably the best part, just being able to interact with other creative people.


Words by Matthew Daniel

© 2007 Feel The Soul. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: